Information for the Petition
- Copy of passport, including biographic page, front and back cover, all stamped pages, and I-94 card.
- Completed copy of detailed immigration history, including any student, employment, or temporary visa documents.
- Copy of your birth certificate. Your birth certificate must include your name, date, and place of birth, and your parents’ names.
- Copy of your marriage certificate, if applicable.
- Copies of birth certificates for all of your children, even if they are outside the US or not applying with you.
- Copy of your original employment offer letter, if your petition is being sponsored by your employer.
Information About Your Work
- A brief description of your field and what you think makes you stand out from others in your field
- Copy of your highest diploma
- Press clippings
- Images of your artwork showcased
- Copies of original works (artwork, CDs or DVDs, scores…)
- Receipts or other evidence of sales (art sold, CDs sold, tickets sold., etc.)
- Emails from prospective buyers, venues, agents, managers, etc.
- Evidence of judging artistic works/competitions
- A list of references, with contact information, who are willing to contribute a letter to your petition. Please include at least six people, three of which are independent (i.e. people who you have never worked or collaborated with.) It is preferred that your references come from a variety of institutions, agencies or clubs. They can be from any country as long as they are qualified to comment on your work. If any of your references have written letters for you in the past year, please send us electronic copies.
- Any other documentation you think might help show the reaction of the artistic community to your work – this is a key question, and we can work with you to brainstorm ideas for how to demonstrate the reaction of the artistic community.
We prefer to talk to or email your references to get more details and their perspective on your work. With even a short phone conversation, we can draft a letter for them. If you have a reference who will not have time to talk to us, please give us the name of someone else (graduate student, post-doc, etc.,) who will have time to talk to us and give details for the reference letter.
A Few Notes About Our Checklists:
- These checklists do not address the question or whether or not it is advisable to file a petition in any category. They are intended for current clients of Curran & Berger LLP who have been referred to this list by staff.
- If you have sent us an item from a checklist already, you do not need to send it again. Just let us know that you have already sent it.
- Do not send us original documents. You should make copies of all of your items and keep your originals in a safe place.
- You can either e-mail us scanned copies or mail us paper copies. However, we can only accept e-mails up to 25 MB in size. If you need to send us large amounts of information, please create a .zip file
- Feel free to send us your documents as they become available. There is no need to wait until you have everything. We usually can get started with just a few items. If you have any questions, or think that obtaining a necessary document will be difficult, don’t hesitate to contact us so we can discuss a plan to move forward.