Documents & Information to send to Curran & Berger LLP

As we work with you to prepare your parent/child petitions, please inform us of any upcoming travel plans -- with dates -- as far in advance as possible.

1.) Documents & Information for U.S. Citizen Petitioner

  • Documents
  • Information
  • Draft Forms


2.) Documents & Information for Foreign National

  • Documents
  • Information
  • Draft Forms
  • Medical Examination


3.) Joint Requirements/Interview Preparation

  • Evidence of Relationship
  • Filing Fees



Documents & Information for U.S. Citizen Petitioner 


  • Color copy of biographic information page of U.S. passport OR copy of birth certificate showing the petitioner was born in U.S.;
  • Color copy of naturalization certificate, if applicable;
  • Copy of your marriage certificate;
  • Copy of any divorce or death certificates from previous marriages, if applicable;
  • Two (2) passport-style photographs. Please see Photo Requirements;
  • Most recent federal tax return and W-2s;
  • Adjusted gross income for the past three (3) years;
  • Copies of your pay statements from the past two months;
  • Job letter from your employer stating job title, start date, and annual salary, signed by supervisor or HR representative.



Please answer the following questions:

  1. Are you related to the foreign national by adoption?
  2. If you were not born in the U.S., how did you gain permanent resident status (adoption, marriage, employment, etc.)?
  3. Have you ever before filed a petition for this relative or any other foreign national?
  4. Are you currently on active duty in the U.S. armed forces?
  5. How many dependent children do you have? How many other dependents do you have?
  6. What is your current employment situation (name of employer, job title, starting date and annual salary or estimated annual income)?



G-325A, Biographic Information

  • Please fill in this form completely and send it to us with your other information.
  • You do not need to sign the form. We will send you a final draft for your signature.
  • Please write "none" or "N/A" if the question does not apply to you.
  • You should not have a "File Number" or "A Number" unless you previously applied for permanent resident status.
  • If you have EVER had any problem entering the U.S., obtaining a U.S. visa, or ANY contact with the police in any country, please let us know.



It is your responsibility to report a change of address during the time the I-864, Affidavit of Support  (or the related forms I-864A and I-864EZ) remains in force [see the contract details listed on the I-864] by filing Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address found at Form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address, is used by a sponsor, co-sponsor, or joint sponsor to report a change of their address to the U.S. government.


Documents & Information for the Foreign National 


  • Color copy of your current passport biographic page; 
  • Copies of biographic information pages for all passports used to enter the United States;
  • Copies of all US visa stamps and entry stamps from current and expired passports;
  • Copy of your most recent white I-94 entry card received upon entry to the U.S or printout OR screenshot/printout of electronically issued I-94.;
    • PLEASE NOTE: If you last entered the U.S. through Canada or Mexico and did not receive a new I-94 card, please send the date and place of your most recent entry.
  • Seven (7) passport-style photographs. Please see Photo Requirements
  • If you have ever lived in the United States in another status (as a student, exchange visitor, worker, etc.) please send us the following:
      • Copies of all I-797 approval noticed received from USCIS, copies of all I-20s (if you were ever in F status), DS-2019s or IAP-66s (if you were ever in J status), I-612 J waiver approval notices;
  • Copy of your birth certificate;
        • PLEASE NOTE: your birth certificate must include your name, date and place of birth, and the names of both your mother and father.
  • Copy of your marriage certificate;
  • Copies of any divorce or death certificates from previous marriages, if applicable.

If a document is not in English, then a certified translation is required. Our firm can order a translation for you at an additional cost, or you can have your document certified and translated using a translation certification statement, signed and notarized. You may not certify translations of your own documents, nor those of any family member. For a translation certification statement, please click here.

FAQ: What if I was issued an electronic I-94? Some I-94s at air and sea ports are now issued by a passport stamp and an electronic record you can access online. Your electronic record of admission may be accessed by at, please send us a printed copy or a screenshot. Land border entries will continue to receive a paper Form I-94 from CBP.
If you have trouble accessing your electronic I-94 after several attempts and methods, you can contact deferred inspection. Find more information on deferred inspection here and the closest deferred inspection site here. If you still cannot access your I-94, please let us know.



Please answer the following questions:

  1. Have you ever been under immigration proceedings?
  2. Please list the name, date and country of birth for your husband/wife and all children.
  3. What is your current address abroad, if any?



G-325A, Biographic Information

Form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status - Pages 3-5

  • Please fill in these forms as completely as possible and send them to our office along with the documents and information listed above.
  • You do not need to sign any of these forms. We will send you final drafts of all forms for your signature.
  • Please write "none" or "N/A" if the question does not apply to you.
  • You should not have a "File Number" or "A Number" unless you previously applied for permanent resident status.
  • If you have EVER has any problem entering the U.S., obtaining a U.S. visa, or ANY contact with the police in any country, please let us know.


Medical Examination

Each applicant for adjustment of status is required to have a medical examination with a USCIS doctor. This medical exam MUST be less than one year old when we file the I-485, and will have to be redone if the I-485 takes more than one year.

You can locate a doctor to conduct the exam using USCIS's Civil Surgeon Locator. When you go to your appointment, bring a copy of the latest version of the I-693 medical exam form (to be sure the current form is used). Since there is a vaccination requirement, you should also bring your vaccination records. If you do not have them, you may be given innoculations during the exam. Please note that all applicants must have a tuberculin skin test during the USCIS medical exam. An X-ray is not a suitable substitute for the TB skin test. 

The exam results will be returned to you in a sealed envelope. Please return the envelope to us unopened!


 Joint Requirements & Documents for Interview


Once we file your initial Parent/Child Petition and Adjustment of Status Application, you will be scheduled for an interview at a local USCIS office. Please begin to gather and send us documentation of your relationship now, though we will not share it with USCIS until the interview. Once the interview is scheduled, we will provide additional guidance and discuss whether you wish to have an attorney or translator attend with you.


Evidence of Parent/Child Relationship

  • Birth affidavits (in cases where birth certificate is insufficient);
  • Copies of school or medical records showing parent/child relationship;
  • Photographs of you together (from as early as possible).


Filing Fees for Alien Relative Petition & Adjustment of Status Application

For clients of Curran & Berger, the filing fees are due in total before the date of filing and are reflected on your monthly billing statement. Current USCIS filing fees can be confirrmed here.


Immigration News

  • H-1B News

    H-1B News There are a lot of ideas and secret draft memos floating around Washington how to "fix" immigration, including the H-1B system. There are bills in congress to amend the H-1B process, but passing legislation in Congress and...

    Read More ...

  • Alert!

    For accurate, up to date information on what is happening, see:  NAFSA NILC American Immigration Council   On January 27, 2017 President Trump issued an Executive Order suspending immigrant and non-immigrant admissions to the U.S. for at...

    Read More ...

Firm Activities

The purpose of the Curran & Berger LLP website is to provide general information about our firm and to identify current legal issues that may be of interest to you. The website and the materials included herein are not intended to advertise our firm’s services, to solicit clients or to provide legal advice. Any information provided on this website is not intended and should not be taken as legal advice or as legal opinion. The use of the information provided in this website should not be taken as creating an attorney-client relationship between Curran & Berger LLP and the reader or user of the information. While we intend to make every effort to ensure that all information on the site is accurate, we do not make any representation or assume liability for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness or other aspect of the information provided.