These checklists do not address the question of whether or not it is advisable to file a petition in any category.
They are intended for current clients of Curran & Berger LLP who have been referred to this list by staff.

Important Note for Clients Preparing I-485 Applications

Please contact us before you make any international travel plans. Knowing your international travel plans will allow your attorney to advise you promptly on whether you have the appropriate documents to be able to re-enter the U.S. Your travel document based on the green card will be processed approximately 90 days from the time we file your Green Card Application. 

AOS Preparation

Documents & Information to send to Curran & Berger LLP


Necessary Items

  1. Immigration history of Principal Applicant & all Dependent Applicants
  2. Documents for the Principal Applicant only
  3. Documents for Dependent Spouse (if married less than two years)
  4. Draft Forms
  5. Medical Examinations


 Immigration history of Principal Applicant & all Dependent Applicants

  1. Color copy of your current passport biographic page (the page(s) with your photo and full name listed);
  2. Copies of biographic pages for all expired passports used to enter the United States;
  3. Copies of all US visa stamps and entry stamps from all current and expired passports;
  4. Copy of your most recent white I-94 entry card received upon entry to the U.S OR screenshot/printout of electronically issued I-94.; PLEASE NOTE: If you last entered the U.S. through Canada or Mexico and did not receive a new I-94 card, please send the date and place of your most recent entry.

  5. Six (6) passport-style photographs.  Please see Photo Requirements on the Department of State website.
  6. Copies of all approval notices received from the USCIS;
  7. Copies of I-20s (issued if you were ever in F-1 status in the U.S.), DS-2019s or IAP-66s (issued if you were ever in J-1 status), I-612 J waiver approval notices, as well as any documentation of your family members’ F-2 or J-2 status;
  8. Copy of your long-form birth certificate*;
    PLEASE NOTE: Your birth certificate must include your name, date and place of birth, and the names of both your mother and father.  Please contact the paralegal assigned to your case if you have any questions about this requirement.
  9. Copy of your marriage certificate*;
  10. Copies of any divorce certificates for you or your spouse*.


Are you missing any biographical documents from abroad? Visit the State Department Reciprocity Schedule and enter your home country into the search box. Scroll down the page and instructions for obtaining the document needed will be there.


FAQ: What if I can't find my previous student visa documents? Contact the school to see if they still have copies they can share with you. If not, please consult with us regarding your options.

* For information on availability of original documents abroad, please visit:

FAQ: What if I was issued an electronic I-94? Some I-94s at air and sea ports are now issued by a passport stamp and an electronic record you can access online. Your electronic record of admission may be accessed by at, please send us a printed copy or a screenshot. Land border entries will continue to receive a paper Form I-94 from CBP.
If you have trouble accessing your electronic I-94 after several attempts and methods, you can contact Deferred Inspection. Find more information on Deferred Inspection here and the closest Deferred Inspection site here. If you still cannot access your I-94, please let us know.

 For the Principal Applicant only

  1. Two (2) recent paystubs if you are currently employed. Please note that paystubs must be dated as close to the time of filing as possible. We may need to ask for additional, newer paystubs if you provide one early in the process.
  2. If you have self-petitioned for permanent residence, then please send a copy of last year's federal income tax return, plus W-2 (click here for instructions on how to request a transcript of your federal tax return).  If you did not file a tax return or were not making sufficient income to sponsor your family, then we will discuss this with you and prepare an I-134 form and/or a self-employment letter.
  3. If you are a CONRAD doctor, please send us copies of W-2s and paystubs to show for the three-year term work requirement for your J-1 waiver. W-2s will cover full years worked, and paystubs will be evidence of part-years worked, or for years where you have not yet received the W-2.

 For Dependent Spouse (if married for less than two years)


EVIDENCE OF RELATIONSHIP: Please gather relevant documents to establish evidence of your marriage.  Documents may include (but are not limited to):

  • Lease or Mortgage Contract showing joint residence
  • Copies of Driver’s Licenses showing joint residence
  • Financial records showing joint ownership of assets/joint responsibility for liabilities such as:
    • Jointly filed tax returns
    • Joint checking and/or savings account records
    • Insurance policies that list spouse as beneficiary
    • Joint bills
  • Photos of you together with other people


 Draft Forms

You do not need to sign the forms listed below. Once we have your information, the paralegal on your case will draft the final forms and mail them to you for your signature. The linked forms are in the PDF format.


Form G-325A, Biographic Information

  1. Please complete this form for yourself and all dependents, even children under 14, so we can be sure to have their complete information.
  2. Please write "none" or "N/A" if the question does not apply. If a field is left blank, we are likely to ask you about it.

FAQ: Do I have an "A number?" If you have previously applied for permanent residence, you will have an A number (or Alien Registration number). You may or may not have one if you previously filed an I-140 or had one filed by your employer. It would be listed on the approval notice. The number listed on your OPT card, if you've had one, should not be used here.

Form I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status - Pages 3-5

  1. Please complete page 3 through 5 of form I-485 for yourself and all of your dependents. Please be sure to answer every question.
  2. If you have EVER had any problems entering the U.S., obtaining a U.S. visa, or ANY contact with the police in any country, please let us know.

FAQ: What sorts of memberships should I list on page 3 of the I-485 form? The most important things to list here are political (communist/socialist) affiliations, military service, or anything that involved weapons training. You can also list professional or academic associations. There is no need to list things like gym or library memberships. If you have have previous military or communist party membership, please prepare a short (1-2 sentence) explanation.

 Medical Examination


  • Each member of your family who is applying for adjustment of status is required to have a medical examination with a USCIS doctor.
  • PLEASE NOTE: USCIS medical examination results are only valid for one year. Please double check with the team handling your case before making an appointment for your exam. 
  • The exam results will be returned to you in a sealed envelope. Please send the envelope to us unopened.
  • When you go to your appointment, bring a copy of the latest I-693 medical exam form, so that you can be sure the doctor uses the current form. 
  • There is a vaccination requirement for the USCIS medical exam, so you should bring any vaccination records you have to the exam. If you do not have any vaccination records, you may be given inoculations during the exam and have to pay for them out of pocket.
  • Please note that all applicants must have a tuberculin skin test during their USCIS exam. An x-ray is not a suitable substitute for the TB skin test. 
  • To find a list of USCIS doctors in your area, type your zip code into the Civil Surgeon Locator.

FAQ: Can you recommend a civil surgeon? We may have recommendations for some areas and not others, so feel free to ask the team working on your case. Please tell us if you've had a good or bad experience with your civil surgeon so that we can continue to update our list.

Do not send us original documents. You should send us copies or scans of your items and keep the originals in a safe place. If you have sent us an item already, you do not need to send it again. Just let us know if you've already sent it.
You can either e-mail us scanned copies or mail us paper copies. However, we can only accept e-mails up to 25 MB in size. If you need to send us large amounts of information, please create a .zip file.
Feel free to send us your documents as they become available. There is no need to wait until you have everything. We usually can get started with just a few items. If you have any questions, or think that obtaining a necessary document will be difficult, don't hesitate to contact us so we can discuss a plan to move forward.
If a document is not in English, then a certified translation is required. Our firm can order a translation for you at an additional cost, or you can have your document translated and certified using a translation certification statement, signed and notarized.  You may not certify translations of your own documents, nor those of any family member. For a translation certification statement, click here.

The purpose of the Curran & Berger LLP website is to provide general information about our firm and to identify current legal issues that may be of interest to you. The website and the materials included herein are not intended to advertise our firm’s services, to solicit clients or to provide legal advice. Any information provided on this website is not intended and should not be taken as legal advice or as legal opinion. The use of the information provided in this website should not be taken as creating an attorney-client relationship between Curran & Berger LLP and the reader or user of the information. While we intend to make every effort to ensure that all information on the site is accurate, we do not make any representation or assume liability for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness or other aspect of the information provided.